Monday 7 February 2011

It's been a long time, I shouldn't have left you...

(without a dope beat to step to..sorry, went all Timbaland on you there!)

Wow. I haven't updated this blog since Michael Jackson died. Yikes.
So I am going to try and make amends by blogging about reality a wee bit more. Not that my reality is especially interesting at the moment, not that it ever has been full stop, but I do write some pretty amazing stuff in my head and it really should get out more..

Problem is, between brain and page the message gets a tad scrambled, and because of a lack of confidence and due to being hyper-critical of my own writing I never bother to publish it. Perhaps now is the time that I should?

At the moment I've been giving a lot of time to thoughts of family. I don't come from an especially close-family, in the sense that we have never had family get-togethers or grand occasions to meet and greet each other at, except funerals. But as my parents are getting older it starts to come to the front of my mind that one day I won't have any connections left to make. Especially on my Dad's side..and I'd like to rectify that.
My Dad comes from Glasgow, and I know that I have a cousin who still lives there and met in 1984. I'd really love to talk to her again, but she became somewhat ostracised from the family and I'm cautious about taking that first step towards making contact. Would I be opening a can of worms by doing so?
Even more important is the fact that I have a half-sibling, from my Dad's previous marriage, and I have been fortunate to meet her once. There has been nominal contact between my father and her over the past decade and he has two granchildren that he's never met too. My Dad never really talks about it, but there are pictures of her all over the house, as well as photos that she kindly sent of the children years ago when they were small..but I think phonecalls are better than pictures sometimes, and I know that even though he wasn't around for her as she grew up, he never stopped thinking of her or loving her in his own way. That said, there has to be a reason for contact to be maintained and I have no doubt it's difficult to relate to someone that you've only had a few phonecalls and brief meetings with over the past decade. But I'd like to think that as my Dad faces his elder years some sort of contact can be remade. The contact that was previously reinstigated just seems to have drifted apart, and that's a shame.

So, I've sent my sister a friend request on Facebook. I do hope she accepts.

No comments:

Post a Comment